Guidelines for Success
All Hazel Valley scholars will be resourceful, considerate, curious, and problem solvers through support from standards based instruction, family and community involvement, social emotional learning, and equitable practices.
This section outlines the supports and expectations we have to ensure that all students at Hazel Valley meet this goal.
Common Area Expectations
All students are expected to follow these expectations in our common areas…
Follow all bus drivers directions quickly.
Use a voice level 0, 1, or 2.
|Restroom||Flush toilet and leave the restroom clean.
Use one squirt of soap to wash hands.
Throw used paper towels in trash cans.
|Playground||Keep feet and hands to self.
Walk on sidewalks at all times.
Use equipment safely.
Keep food, drinks and personal items in class or at home.
|Hallways||Walk at all times.
Keep body to self and eyes forward.
Use a voice level 0 or 1.
Stay with your class or you must have a hall pass.
|Assemblies||Enter and sit silently - voice level 0
Keep eyes on the speaker.
Keep feet and hands to self.
|Level 0||Silent (no noise)|
|Level 1||Whisper (6-inch voice)|
|Level 2||Normal conversation (12-inch voice)|
|Level 3||Teaching voice (loud enough for the whole class to hear)|
|Level 4||Playground voice (outside only)|
- Not following directions (passive)
- Talking-out during instruction
- Using inappropriate language (not directed at another person)
- Wearing hats/hoods
- Chewing Gum
- Teacher manages follow-up and problem solving.
- Teacher follows their established system for response.
- Restate directions
- Redirect to desired behavior
- Use nonverbal cue
- Offer reset time
- Use prosimity
- Acknowledge appropriate behavior of other students
- Arguing/talking back
- Minor physical contact
- Using inappropriate language (directed at another person)
- Misusing electronics/property
- Repeated/ongoing small problems
- Teacher responds or requests support from Success Coach (S.C.) and then does one of the following:
- Teacher follows the established system for response
- Teacher sends student w/pass to S.C.
- Success coach guides problem solving using RULER tools.
- Success coach follows up with teacher by the end of the day
- Teacher documents misbehavior and contacts the student's family.
- Possessing a weapon or look-alike weapon
- Specifically threatening self/others (naming target, method, means)
- Purposefully hitting another person
- Throwing potentially dangerous objects
- Teacher must contact the office for Administrator support right away.
- An administrator escorts the student to the office.
- Teacher completes a major ticket form and submits this ASAP.
- Administrator determines consequence and contacts family.
- Loss of privileges
- Safety or bullying contract
- Suspension (must follow policy 3240)
- Contact law enforcement
- Administrator provides verbal or written next steps before student returns to class.
Student Success Coach