The habit of regular and punctual attendance is strongly related to student success. We ask that you help your child acquire this good work habit.
If your child is not going to be in school for any reason, you must contact the school office every day your child is absent. Please submit a note to the school office when your child returns to school. Communicating with the school office is the only way your child’s absences will be excused.
- Call the school office at 206-631-3900 or email Roxanne Halverson every day your child will be absent by 8:30 a.m.
- Send a note when the student returns to school indicating the reason for the absence.
Extended absences for family vacations are encouraged during the scheduled school breaks (Mid-Winter, Winter and Spring Break). In order to excuse a vacation, note from a parent or guardian needs be given to the principal. The principal must approve the vacation beforehand for the vacation to be approved. Vacations not approved or extended absences not due to illness will be considered an unexcused absence.
Students arriving after 8:40 a.m. are considered tardy. Punctual attendance is important in helping students develop a sense of responsibility and to ensure that students don’t miss important instruction. All students must report to the office before going to their classrooms if arriving late.
Early Dismissal/Early Pick-up
Requests for students to leave school early are discouraged. If early dismissal is necessary, please send a note to the office stating the time you will be picking up your child. Upon arrival on campus, please go to the office. The office staff will call your child to the office for sign-out. Please do not go to your child’s classroom first. These procedures are for the safety and security of our students.
The "Becca" Bill
According to the “Becca Bill”, all school districts are required to track the number of student absences and notify families when their student is absent.
Basic Guidelines for Highline School District:
- After one (1) unexcused absence, the parent or guardian must be notified by phone or in writing.
- An unexcused absence is one that the parent has not excused by providing a note or informing the school by phone within 48 hours.
- After two (2) unexcused absences, the school will schedule a conference with the student, parent/guardian, and administrator to find ways to reduce student’s absences.
- After five (5) or more unexcused absences, the district must:
- Schedule a conference with the student and family, and
- Make an agreement with the student and family that establishes attendance requirements.
- After seven (7) unexcused absences in a month or ten (10) in a school year, the district must file a petition to compel school attendance with the King County Juvenile Count. The court will contact the family regarding violation of the Becca Bill.