Help us ELEVATE at our 2022 staff Equity Symposium on August 23.
We are seeking nominations for opening speakers, as well as proposals for 60-minute breakout sessions.
Students, families, and community presenters will receive a $100 honorarium. Sessions will be held virtually.
Share Your Story - Nominations for Opening Speakers
Share your story or equity work in our opening session! Each speaker can present for up to 10 minutes in a live or prerecorded format. We plan to feature multiple speakers.
Multiple presentation styles will be considered (presentation/speech, spoken word/poetry, music, film, art, movement). The planning team will support you in developing your idea into its final form.
Example activities or initiatives we hope to spotlight include:
- Affinity Groups
- Community Partners Engaged in Equity Work
- Mentoring Groups
- Parent/Family Groups
- Professional Learning Communities
- Site-Based Equity Teams
- Student Activist Groups
- Teams that implement Instruction on Race and Identity
Selected speakers will open the Equity Symposium to help set the tone for the day. Speakers may be staff, students, community partners or families. You may nominate yourself or someone else.
Opening session proposals are due May 27. Accepted proposals will be communicated by June 10.
Breakout Session Proposals
Are you working to move Highline or your community toward becoming an anti-racist system? We invite students, families and community members to share their work and knowledge on equity. Facilitate a breakout session! Provide the opportunity to reflect, learn and deepen the work of equity in one or more of these categories:
- Roundtable Discussions about Equity
- Becoming a Racial Ally, Accomplice and Co-Conspirator
- Transformative Justice in Education
- Dimensions of Cultural or Racial Diversity
- Implicit Bias and Discrimination
- Adult Wellness in Equity Work
- Creating a Culture of Belonging
- Living with Equity (Social-emotional learning)
- Existing Equity Work in Highline (Affinity Groups, HEART, etc)
Sessions will be 60 minutes and can be a panel discussion, demonstration, interactive workshop or other format. All sessions will be presented virtually, and presenters will facilitate their sessions during one or both session times on Tuesday, August 23, 2022:
- Session 1: 10:15-11:15 a.m.
- Session 2: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Proposals are due May 27. Accepted proposals will be communicated by June 10.
Our Theme: E.L.E.V.A.T.E. - Everyone Leads, Every Voice Aspiring Toward Equity
- Everyone Leads: Each of us leads when we make the choice to make peoples’ lives better by participating in equity work.
- Every Voice Aspiring: Start where you are. Learn and grow in your understanding and practice.
- Toward Equity: Moving toward equity is a learning journey and a commitment to achieving the full potential of every individual.